Tuesday, March 10, 2020

Letting go in the wilderness


A couple of weeks ago I was talking with some folks here at LMC who were reminiscing about the first time this congregation called a woman pastor.  Pastor David Miller, who many of us here knew, had served this congregation for several decades and before him, Pastor Bruno Nueman for many, many decades.  When Pastor Miller retired, the candidate that the call committee put forth and eventually called now over 15 years ago was that of Pastor Susan Swanson, a woman.  While the congregation was deeply faithful, the idea of calling a woman pastor was unsettling for some—not all—but some folks.  On paper, people of course knew that the church had been ordaining women for many years, but in practice, it was an unsettling step to take to think of calling a woman pastor.

In our gospel story today, Nicodemus is unsettled. He is a pharisee: a religious leader, a respected, successful and confident man in the community.  He is curious and spiritually open. He is also logical and orderly in the way he thinks.  And he is unsettled. 

Late one night, in the anonymity of the night, he goes to find Jesus.  Jesus has just had a very public and furious argument with the pharisees in the temple where he threw a bunch of tables over and dumped coins to the ground during the Passover festival.  Not long before that, he had turned water into wine at a wedding and everyone was talking about it. As a religious leader, Nicodemus would have known all of this…and as a religious leader he was probably expected to tow the party line.  The party line which said that Jesus was bad news. None the less, Nicodemus is curious and unsure and he secretly goes to find Jesus in the dead of night. 

Was he provoked by the scandal Jesus had caused in the temple? Maybe, I don’t know. But he starts asking questions. Jesus answers him by saying that he must be born again. Nicodemus is like, “What do you mean born again?  I am an old man. How am I supposed to re-enter my mother’s womb?” I kind of imagine Jesus coming back at him like, bro, that is not what I mean. You come asking me these heavy questions in the middle of the night, what kind of answer do you expect?

That retort aside, I think of Nicodemus’ comment, “I am an old man.” Yes, clearly, Nicodemus cannot be literally be born again, but I wonder if a part of it also had to do with old age being the best part of life. Especially in Jesus’ time, the wisdom of age was so very valued.  “Old” was the best. Nicodemus is established and mature.  He is settled. God is orderly in his head. Why would he want to dump it all out and start over? As they continue to talk there in the dead of night, it is clear that something about who Jesus is and the miracles he has done are pushing Nicodemus to the edge.  He is unsettled.  Although Nicodemus might have already had a foot out of bounds when he came to find Jesus, as they talk, Jesus starts pulling him into uncharted territory.  Wilderness territory. Nicodemus’ final comment to Jesus in the story is, “but…but, how can this be?!” It’s like Nicodemus says to Jesus, “Wait a minute. I’m settled. I finally have it figured it out and you’re asking me to think again? Yes.  Precisely.  After all, isn’t this what Jesus is always asking people to do?   To think again?

My heart goes out to Nicodemus.  I can think of moments in my own life when my understanding of God cracked through some carefully created boundary that I had constructed (or someone had constructed for me).  When one of my very dearest friends came out to me as gay in college, I had just never thought deeply  about the theology of inclusion or exclusion of GLBTQIA folks. But that hours long conversation that I had with my friend blew the roof of my house, and you can bet that I thought deeply and was born into a new space after that.  

When I lost a pregnancy years ago, something in my heart quietly started crumbling and one day I turned my head and realized that I couldn’t sense God.  In fact, I couldn’t quite sense anything.  And I spent a good, long, unsettled while in the wilderness straining to hear something.  My heart goes out to Nicodemus as he struggles to find his way.

I think of the church, the wider Lutheran church on this international women’s day, and our struggle 50 years ago to ordain women and 11 years ago to ordain openly GLBTQIA folks. Before those collective decisions to ordain these pastors were made, there were long periods of wilderness wandering for the church.   I think of the Christian church’s struggles today.  Sometimes, it seems like the wider Christian church can be more set on condemning instead of loving and it’s unsettling.  I think of our society right now where it seems like we are bewildered, edgy, unsettled and in the wilderness. 

What happens when our understanding of who God is outgrows the language or the liturgy or the ideas that we’ve always held close and cherished?  What happens when we leave the feeling of certainty and step into the wilderness unknown?

Artist Brian Andreas, creator of “The Story People,” wrote of two people sitting together and one of them says to the other, I don't know how long I can do this…I think the universe has different plans for me. [and the friend says] we sat there in silence & I thought to myself that this is the thing we all come to & this is the thing we all fight & if we are lucky enough to lose, our lives become beautiful with mystery again & I sat there silent because that is not something that can be said.”

Jesus asks Nicodemus to let go of something certain and step into the unknown. To step into a space where the mysterious power of God changes water into wine and brings sight to a blind man. A mysterious space where the living word is made flesh and dwells among us.  

In a sense, Nicodemus tentatively wanders in the wilderness for the rest of the gospel of John.  While the first time he first finds Jesus is anonymously at night, he later makes an unexpectedly courageous cameo during a heated moment when some of his fellow religious leaders suggest that Jesus should be arrested.  “Wait a minute!” Nicodemus says, “shouldn’t Jesus have a hearing before being judged?” Then finally, when Jesus is crucified, it’s Nicodemus who brings an extravagant amount of spices and myrrh and helps Joseph of Arimathea bury him.

The happy ending to this story would have been for Nicodemus to totally have gotten it, hook, line and sinker that Jesus doesn’t just do these miraculous things with God’s power, but that Jesus actually is God and God’s full power.  Instead, Nicodemus wanders around the edges, always throwing his big questions at the sky.

What I do know for sure is that out there in the wilderness, Jesus loved Nicodemus.  What I do know for sure, is that here in our wilderness, God so loves us.  God loves the world.  This world—with all of our chaos, and anxiety, and pandemics and personal stress. God is in the midst of it, active, alive and loving it.

God who watches over us will not slumber or sleep
The Spirit stands beside us as our protective shade
So that sun will not harm us by day,
Nor the moon by night.
The Lord will keep us
will hold our life.
And will keep our going out
and our coming in
from this time on and forever.

As it turns out, God is a total fool for love who will love us like we have never been loved before. God will dissolve our hearts with love if we let him--even in the midst of our biggest questions and uncertainties. To believe in, to cherish this mystery that we are so loved by God is to live differently.  To live a God shaped life. Marcus Borg wrote that the word “believe” means something like the word “belove.” Belove. To give one’s heart to God. To cherish God’s heart and know that God cherishes ours.  And, though we may be unsettled, to know that God loves this world—this crazy, imperfect world--in ways that are unfathomably beyond our imagination. In the wilderness, may we let go and give our hearts to God.

Prone to wander Lord I feel it
Prone to leave this life I love.
Here’s my heart oh take and seal it
Seal it for thy courts above.

No comments:

Post a Comment