Monday, March 30, 2020

Lead me, God

Maybe I shouldn’t admit as a pastor that I’m actually pretty used to being in control of my life. Perhaps this is the place where I should write something like “From the moment I wake up each day, I surrender everything to God and ride the holy wave of my day (smiley face!!).” Yeah, no. Let’s be honest, I plan a schedule for my family that involves preschool, work, church, going to the park, hanging out with friends.  I organize, plan, orchestrate and get things done. 
 
These days, control over my life and schedule are unsteady. There are a lot of unknowns and a lot to be fearful of. Unexpectedly, our assigned Psalm for this week in church is Psalm 23, “The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want.” The psalm talks about being led and guided by God who leads us to “lie down in green pastures” and to walk “beside still waters.” “Even though I walk the darkest valley,” the psalmist writes, “you are with me.” As I think over these words, I remember that I am led by God. I can’t lead myself through this wilderness. Although I follow the advice and edicts of health care workers and government officials to socially distance myself, it is God who leads me, who leads us.
 
“God is love” (1 John 4:8). I already see so many instances of LMC being led by love. Our decision to close the church was informed by Love of our community. The kind and encouraging posts on FB are evidence of God’s great Love that is leading us. (It was probably nothing but the Love of God that told me to cool my stack and step out of my twins room last night when there was passionate fighting over who’s turn it was to sleep with the tiny plastic Olaf figurine from the Disney movie “Frozen.”)
 
As we walk through the unexpected, and even through the darkest valley, may Love—the light of the world—guide us to practice kindness, to seek patience, to seek the lonely. And when we are unsteady, may Love lead us to reach out. Take heart and remember that God deeply loves this world, loves us, is working for healing, and is here with us in the midst of it. 
 
Grace, peace, strength and patience to you

No comments:

Post a Comment